Sunday, March 04, 2007

The REAL Story of First Year Teachers

Now that "Freedom Writers" is getting a lot of press, I'm happy to see that the challenges that teachers face, particularly in urban schools, are getting some attention by the general public. While clearly I am biased, I feel that this profession is the most underappreciated vocation in this country (besides maybe roadkill clean-up crew -- think about how nasty that would be!)

But I feel that I need to give the public a reality check. After reading "The Diary of the Freedom Writers", upon which the movie is based (I haven't seen the movie yet), I have to give my two cents. For starters, I doubt the authenticity of some of the diary entries. What freshman in the 'hood uses vocabulary like "atrocities" and discusses the "pedigogical methods" of their teacher in the Remedial English class? I'm not buying it.

The average person who sees this movie will have the same reaction. They will think, "Wow, teachers really do have a tough job. They work so hard, but they can make a difference!"

But that's not how new teachers will react. The reaction is, Holy shit. I cannot possibly do that. I am already working myself to the point of exhaustion just to keep my head above water, let alone bringing in speakers from foreign countries. Yeah, not gonna happen. So teachers have one of two options. You can be this inspirational teacher with incredible ideas that change the lives of the students in your classroom. But to get this done, you have to work 15 hour days. You have to work two jobs to pay for all the extras, because lord knows you can't pay for it with your teacher salary. If I'm working two jobs, I'm using that money to pay off the horrendous debt that I have acquired getting this degree. Oh, did I mention the fact that you can have no life? Yeah, if you have any relationships outside the classroom, give them up. You will have no friends. The friends you have outside of school will forget you, since you have no time to spend with you. The teachers will hate you, because you're this super gung-ho teacher, and that pisses people off. And if you're married, you'll get divorced. Awesome.

Oh, and did I mention that you actually have to think up these super-exciting and inspirational ideas that will change the lives of youth in the context of a 52-minute class period?

If you don't want that, you can work the basic 10 hour days, still have no money, but a little more of a life, and your kids will be bored as hell and will leave your classroom having gained nothing but the skill of being able to sleep with their eyes open.

Maybe I'm jaded after only 6 months in the trenches, but I am being reasonable. And I am choosing option B. I am claiming my life back, because I am only one person, and there is only so much I can do.

No comments: